[Haskell-cafe] about beta NF in lambda calculus

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 15:46:20 EDT 2009

Given the Y combinator, Y (\x.x) has no normal form.

However, (\a. (\x. x)) (Y (\x. x)) does have a normal form; (\x. x).
But it only reduces to that normal form if you reduce the (\a. ...)
redex, not if you reduce its argument.  So depending on evaluation
order you might not reach a normal form.

  -- ryan