[Haskell-cafe] Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Sat Mar 21 05:18:41 EDT 2009

On 21 Mar 2009, at 01:10, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On 2009 Mar 20, at 17:02, Hans Aberg wrote:
>> Therefore, as mentioned before, it might be best to install the GHC
>> binaries and install libraries like Gtk+ from MacPorts. There is
>> also Intel Gtk+ that binds directly to Aqua, the
>
> This won;t work as you expect:  since there's a dependency on ghc,
> the ports version of ghc will be installed.  (No, it doesn't behave
> like BSD ports, and can't:  breaking "base", which is outside of
> their control, could have severe consequences, so it doesn't simply
> accept installed versions of programs.)

I'm not sure what you are saying here: installing MacPorts Gtk does
not cause its GHC to be installed, nor does it bind to it.

The way it works with Gnat, is that there is a GtkAda package which
binds to Gtk, and the paths of this package must be set to whatever
Gtk one is using. Using an external Gnat binding to MacPorts Gtk works
just fine. As for the Intel Gtk package that binds to to Aqua, it is
integrated with the Xcode GCC. So one must do some extra tweaking there.

   Hans Aberg