[Haskell-cafe] Re: categories and monoids

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri Mar 20 16:15:38 EDT 2009

Wolfgang Jeltsch <g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org> wrote:

> Is ___semi___ and adjective at all? In German, we say ___halb___ instead of
> ___semi___ and the semi ring becomes a Halbring.
"Halbring" as in "halber Ring", isn't it? Synonymous with "partly a
ring" (which uses an adverb)... In german, you can tack almost any
word type using any case onto a noun, consider e.g. _Mit_fahrer, or

The terminology that I learnt is quite clear: If it changes the meaning
of a noun, it's an adjective, which isn't so much a word-class but a
function defined by context: The same roots are used for adverbs, too.

Horrible memories consisting of grammar tests start to creep up. I'd
rather stop now, if you don't mind.