[Haskell-cafe] Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

Jeff Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:22:35 EDT 2009

As this continues to build, I guess the issue for me, and I'm willing
to help with it, is trying to figure out how to redistribute programs
written with gtk2hs.  on Windows, people can just install the gtk2hs
libraries via the installer -- although this does bork a little
because it assumes you have a haskell compiler on the machine.
Ignoring the errors, however, works.  I don't see a similar situation
on Mac OS.

If I wanted to package an application, which I often do, because
firefighters, police officers, and emergency managers (my research
currently targets these people, and we're actually beginning to really
deploy our apps) don't have the time nor inclination to compile
programs on their machines, I can basically just hope they're running
windows. It'd be nice if there was a binary "redistributable" on
windows that doesn't generate errors because of no haskell compiler
installed and a similar package on OS X that includes the X11 Gtk
binaries and precompiled Gtk2Hs binaries.

I guess I just don't know yet how to package things for OS X or find
everything I'd need to find to build a redistributable image in the
first place.  I haven't yet drunk the coolade on the whole Mac
development process, having sidestepped the normal process by being a
Haskell developer.  I'm sure they have standard procedures for finding
and packaging libraries.

-- Jeff

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Ross Mellgren <rmm-haskell at z.odi.ac> wrote:
> Ah, true. Sorry, my mistake -- I forgot that wasn't supported with the
> framework version.
>
> -Ross
>
> On Mar 20, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Jeff Heard wrote:
>
>> That one doesn't work with OpenGL, however and won't in the forseeable
>> future.    Incidentally, just now doing a ports install gtk2hs gives
>> me the following error on my brand new MacBook:
>>
>> $ sudo port install gtk2hs
>>
>> ... stuff happens normally ... then:
>>
>> opt/local/bin/ghc +RTS -RTS -c tools/hierarchyGen/TypeGen.hs -o
>> tools/hierarchyGen/TypeGen.o -O -itools/hierarchyGen -package-conf
>> package.conf.inplace -hide-all-packages -package base
>> package.conf.inplace: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or
>> directory)
>> /opt/local/bin/ghc +RTS -RTS -c tools/callbackGen/HookGenerator.hs -o
>> tools/callbackGen/HookGenerator.o -O -I. -itools/callbackGen
>> -package-conf package.conf.inplace -hide-all-packages -package base
>> package.conf.inplace: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or
>> directory)
>> rm -rf glib/System/Glib.o glib/System/Glib_split/; mkdir -p
>> glib/System/Glib_split
>> /opt/local/bin/ghc +RTS -RTS -split-objs -c glib/System/Glib.hs -o
>> glib/System/Glib.o -O -fffi -iglib -package-conf package.conf.inplace
>> -hide-all-packages -ignore-package glib -package base -package-name
>> glib-0.9.13 '-#include<glib-object.h>' -I/opt/local/include/glib-2.0
>> -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/opt/local/include
>>
>> on the commandline:
>>   Warning: -fffi is deprecated: use -XForeignFunctionInterface or
>> pragma {-# LANGUAGE ForeignFunctionInterface#-} instead
>> package.conf.inplace: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or
>> directory)
>> make[1]: *** [glib/System/Glib.o] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Ross Mellgren <rmm-haskell at z.odi.ac>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> While there is not a .dmg for Gtk2Hs, you can use a .dmg installed GHC
>>> with
>>> a .dmg installed Gtk, and then build gtk2hs straight on top of that,