[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

Bjorn Buckwalter bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 14:24:57 EDT 2009

Haskell on Mac OS X has been mostly painless for me. I have a PowerPC
mac which means there are rarely binaries for me to download from
haskell.org. I've either used MacPorts or compiled the GHC from source,
both have worked well. I prefer the latter, but you'll probably want
MacPorts anyway for gcc and non-haskell libs.

I did some HOpenGL stuff about a year ago and cannot recall having any
problems.

Occasionally you'll have to do something like "install PCRE using
MacPorts and add /opt/local/lib to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH"[1] but mostly
things just work.

I believe the readline/libedit thing caused minor headache at some point
(but far less than on the Red Hat linux box on which I have no root/sudo
access).

Everything certainly works infinitely better than on Cygwin. :P

Sorry about not being able to give more details, any issues I may have
had are not fresh in memory. But in short I don't think you'll have any
more/significantly different problems than on Linux, and probably
substantially less than on Windows (or I'm doing something wrong).

Barring where the above contradicts him I concur with Thomas Davie. ;)

Thanks,
Bjorn Buckwalter

[1] http://tinyurl.com/cw64nd