[Haskell-cafe] Checking in packages to Hackage early in development cycle?

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 06:39:00 EDT 2009

    Duncan> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 12:56 -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

    >> releasing a >> Max> package if it does something useful in a
    >> not-totally-broken >> Max> way. Especially if you plan to
    >> extend it.

    >> > Generally you indicate this by changing the minor version:
    >> 0.3.0, > 0.3.1, etc. have compatible APIs, but 0.4.0 has an
    >> incompatible > API.  And with major version 0, API breakage is
    >> expected in new > releases.

    Duncan> We call it the Package versioning policy (PVP)

    Duncan> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy

    Duncan> Package authors are encouraged but not required to follow
    Duncan> it. In the not too distant future you will be able to
    Duncan> explicitly opt-in, in which case we will try to check that
    Duncan> the package does indeed follow the policy and advising
    Duncan> authors of dependent packages about the kind of version
    Duncan> constraints they should use.

I missed the upper bounds on dependencies. How am I supposed to know
what the upper bound is?

    >> Oh, and to address your question more directly: it's by getting
    >> your package out there where people will find it (i.e. on
    >> hackage, since that's where people look) that you get more eyes
    >> on it and hopefully more ideas as to how to evolve it.

    Duncan> Yes, early feedback from users is invaluable in API
    Duncan> design.

So I announced my library this morning (long before I was intending
to, but you guys are persuasive).
This is my first released Haskell code, so full code reviews will be welcome.
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire