[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Logo write-in candidate

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Mar 20 06:08:36 EDT 2009

Jon Fairbairn wrote:

> semi-rant warning:
>
> This whole badge/logo business seems to me to be an excellent example
> of Parkinson's law of triviality (choosing the colour of the
> bikeshed). We have a large (too large) number of variations on
> relatively few themes and a really sophisticated voting system, but
> no very clear idea of what they're for and no explanation (such as my
> "of type Haskell"
> above) of why the candidates are the way they are.
>
> I didn't join in much to the earlier discussion because I thought
> things would work out to something sensible in the end, but it
> doesn't look like that happened. Work out what the problem is before
> putting the solution up for election!

I agree with this. I have voted, but as with many others I found the
process very cumbersome, and I don't think it really expresses my
opinions
properly. I'm concerned that this process may well end up producing a
outcome that's worse than the current situation but will have some aura
of legitimacy because of the vote.

Cheers,

Ganesh