[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Logo Voting has started!

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Thu Mar 19 14:28:15 EDT 2009

Deniz Dogan wrote:
> IANAL, so would this a problem if this logo won?

Not necessarily. The Lenny222 entry is distinctly multicoloured
unlike TechSmith's which might distinguish it. Trademarks may only
apply to a particular industrial sector or geographical region.
TechSmith is in computer software and seem to be world-wide so
we probably fail on that one.

In the UK they seem to have trademarked the word 'TECHSMITH'

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=E2068609

I can't find their image trademarked maybe because the search on
that site is confusing. I've tried Google but it's very difficult
to find similar abstract images. I'm sure there must be some. If
they haven't trademarked the image anywhere it would suggest either
they aren't too attached to it or somebody else is using something
so close that they can't trademark it. Maybe a search of the US
trademark registry would be more productive.

Richard.