[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] random-stream package

Gökhan San gsan at stillpsycho.net
Thu Mar 19 10:25:49 EDT 2009

Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> writes:

> The stream generator implements tha RandomGen interface.

This is really cool, though I think 'split' is a must. Maybe all
instances could share the same stream in the background, then it
wouldn't cause resource issues.

Also, IMHO mkStream should produce an IO Stream (like getStdGen), as
current implementation isn't referentially transparent; let the library
user decide whether to use unsafePerformIO.

> 3) I have tested the package on Debian Linux Etch, using GHC 6.8.2.

Tested with Gentoo Linux on a 64-bit machine using GHC 6.10.1. On my
system, it is less than 2 times slower than StdGen.

--

Gökhan San