[Haskell-cafe] Re: Go Haskell!

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 06:00:36 EDT 2009

Claus Reinke wrote:
>> I finally got around to making my code for random Go playouts
>> available. Here it is:
>>
>>   http://www.haskell.org/~simonmar/goboard.tar.gz
>
> Cool!-) To reciprocate, I've temporarily put a snapshot of my code here:
> http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~cr3/tmp/SimpleGo.hs
>
> I've not yet decided whether to be depressed or encouraged by the
> timings;-) without mercy rule, your code simulates at about 17k/s runs
> here, vs only about 3k/s for mine. There are some obvious aspects, such
> as hardcoding the boardsize isn't quite as straightforward when GTP
> allows to change it at runtime, but I don't think that explains the bulk
> of the difference.

Different board sizes would be best done by just compiling the code
multiple times, for 9, 13 and 19.

> I do hope there are lots of small things to learn
> (perhaps
> you could summarize your findings in a performance tips paper?-)

Partly it's making good representation choices: lots of unboxed mutable
arrays, and the IntRef type.  I happen to know that boxed mutable arrays
expose poor behaviour in GHC's garbage collector :-)

If I could unpack MutableByteArray# directly in an enclosing constructor,
that would make this code a lot faster, by removing more indirections.
Duncan Coutts has been thinking about similar things in the context of
bytestring.

Most of the other things I found were really just bugs in GHC.  For
example, I wanted to use newtypes in various places, but I didn't get as
good code as just using a type synonym.  We had problems with record
selectors not optimising well, which is now fixed (I believe).

> but
> at first glance, I suspect the difference in approach: my early experiments
> suggested that maintaining chains/strings wasn't going to be more efficient
> than following the affected parts of strings when needed - but I didn't
> think of representing strings as cyclicly referenced lists (which allows
> for string merge in constant instead of linear time). Nice idea!-)

It wasn't my idea - I don't know where it originally came from, but it was
in the F# code I translated.  String merge isn't really O(1), since you
have to traverse one of the strings to update its string Id, maybe that
would be better done by having another level of indirection.

Cheers,
	Simon