[Haskell-cafe] .hi inconsistency bug.

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:52:29 EDT 2009

List,

I've got this project, source on patch-tag here[1]

It's a nice little project, I've got the whole thing roughly working, it
compiles okay, everything seems to work, until I try to run it,
specifically when I run it in ghci, or when I run the main executable
(which uses hint), and look at any type involving my "Email" type, it
gives me the following error:

    Type syonym HackMail.Data.MainTypes.Filter:
      Can't find interface-file declaration for type constructor or
class HackMail.Data.ParseEmail.Email
        Probable cause: bug in .hi-boot file, or inconsistent .hi file
        Use -ddump-if-trace to get an idea of which file caused the error

As far as I understand, it wants to find the interface-file declaration
for a specific type (Email) exported by the ParseEmail module, all of
the exports (I think) are in order. I've tried mucking around with it a
bit, but I don't fully understand what the error even means, much less
how to fix it.

Other relevant info, Email is exported in a roundabout way, namely by
importing a module MainTypes, which exports a module Email, which
exports a the ParseEmail Module, which exports the datatype Email.

The "Filter" delcaration it _actually_ complains about (it's just the
first place the email type is invoked) is:

    type Filter a = ReaderT (Config, Email) IO a

nothing particularly special.

Any help fixing this is greatly appreciated, I did find this bug
report[2] which seems like it might be relevant.

But trying to unregister -> cabal clean -> cabal install doesn't fix it.
I've also tried manually removing the dist/ folder, and also
unregistering the package.

Thanks again.

/Joe

[1] http://patch-tag.com/repo/Hackmail/browse