[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Logo Voting has started!

Eelco Lempsink eelco at lempsink.nl
Tue Mar 17 11:55:21 EDT 2009

On 17 mrt 2009, at 15:24, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> Eelco Lempsink wrote:
>> I updated a couple of logo versions and ungrouped and regrouped the
>> (former) number 31.  Other than that, there was nothing standing in
>> the
>> way of the voting to begin imho, so I started up the competition.
>
> Thanks for organizing this, finally I can choose ... Oh my god! How
> am I
> supposed to make a vote?
>
> I can barely remember 3 of the 113 logos, let alone memorize that #106
> is the narwhal. There are lots of very good or just good candidates
> and
> I would like to order them all to my liking, but without instant
> visual
> feedback on the voting ballot, this is a hopeless task.
>
> Since I have about 10 minutes to spare for voting, I'm just going to
> pick 5 candidates at random and order these? Actually, I think I
> prefer
> to be completely paralyzed by the overwhelming choice instead and not
> vote at all.

I can imagine that, it's a daunting and (optionally) time consuming
task.  The burden of democracy ;)

> Alternatively, it seems that it's possible to upload rankings from a
> file. But which format?

Good question.  I don't know and couldn't find it in the CIVS FAQ
either.

> And is there a zip file with the logo proposals
> so I can try to arrange them via drag&drop in some picture gallery
> application?

Well, actually, there is, since the files were moved to the main
Haskell server after the community server couldn't bear the load
anymore (Igloo saving the day! ;).  You can get all the files from http://haskell.org/logos/logos.tar.gz
.  Note that there are probably a couple of files in there that are
not in the competition, but artifacts from before (re)grouping some of
the logos.

> A simple majority vote is clearly inadequate for this vote, but I'm
> afraid that without assisting technology (instant and visual
> feedback),
> the voting process will more or less deteriorate to that due to the
> difficulty of creating quality input votes.

We'll see.  Worst case: nobody votes (with 123 votes at this moment, I
don't think that will be the problem).  Second worst case: most people
don't have/take the time to order a bit, so it turns into a majority
vote.

That said, you're absolutely right the visual feedback of the voting
system is suboptimal.  I'd be very interested in seeing a good UI for
this sort of task.  I imagine it'd be pretty close to printing
everything on small pieces of paper and ordering them by hand ;)

--
Regards,

Eelco Lempsink