[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Logo Voting has started!

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 11:11:54 EDT 2009

On 17 Mar 2009, at 15:24, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:

> Eelco Lempsink wrote:
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I updated a couple of logo versions and ungrouped and regrouped the
>> (former) number 31.  Other than that, there was nothing standing in
>> the
>> way of the voting to begin imho, so I started up the competition.
>>
>> By now, I suppose everybody should have received their ballot.  If
>> you
>> think you should have received it but didn't, please report it, I can
>> resend the invitation.  Also, for people not directly subscribed to
>> the
>> haskell-cafe mailing list, you can still send ballot requests until
>> the
>> end of the competition (March 24, 12:00 UTC).  Make sure the message
>> contains 'haskell logo voting ballot request' (e.g. in the subject).
>>
>> Depending on the winner of this voting round we can decide whether we
>> need to continue with variations.  Jared Updike already offered to
>> donate a bit of time to help create several variations.  But for now,
>> good luck with sorting those options! :)
>
> Thanks for organizing this, finally I can choose ... Oh my god! How
> am I
> supposed to make a vote?
>

> I can barely remember 3 of the 113 logos, let alone memorize that #106
> is the narwhal. There are lots of very good or just good candidates
> and
> I would like to order them all to my liking, but without instant
> visual
> feedback on the voting ballot, this is a hopeless task.
>
> Since I have about 10 minutes to spare for voting, I'm just going to
> pick 5 candidates at random and order these? Actually, I think I
> prefer
> to be completely paralyzed by the overwhelming choice instead and not
> vote at all.
>
> Alternatively, it seems that it's possible to upload rankings from a
> file. But which format? And is there a zip file with the logo
> proposals
> so I can try to arrange them via drag&drop in some picture gallery
> application?
>

> A simple majority vote is clearly inadequate for this vote, but I'm
> afraid that without assisting technology (instant and visual
> feedback),
> the voting process will more or less deteriorate to that due to the
> difficulty of creating quality input votes.

I have to agree that the UI for voting is not the best I've ever
seen.  On the other hand, it's pretty easy to select the few logos
that you like, and push them all to the top, select the ones you'd
accept, and push them up just below, and finally select the ones you
absolutely don't like and push them all the way down.

That at least is what I did.

Bob