[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Logo Voting has started!

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Mar 17 10:24:28 EDT 2009

Eelco Lempsink wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I updated a couple of logo versions and ungrouped and regrouped the
> (former) number 31.  Other than that, there was nothing standing in the
> way of the voting to begin imho, so I started up the competition.
>
> By now, I suppose everybody should have received their ballot.  If you
> think you should have received it but didn't, please report it, I can
> resend the invitation.  Also, for people not directly subscribed to the
> haskell-cafe mailing list, you can still send ballot requests until the
> end of the competition (March 24, 12:00 UTC).  Make sure the message
> contains 'haskell logo voting ballot request' (e.g. in the subject).
>
> Depending on the winner of this voting round we can decide whether we
> need to continue with variations.  Jared Updike already offered to
> donate a bit of time to help create several variations.  But for now,
> good luck with sorting those options! :)

Thanks for organizing this, finally I can choose ... Oh my god! How am I
supposed to make a vote?

I can barely remember 3 of the 113 logos, let alone memorize that #106
is the narwhal. There are lots of very good or just good candidates and
I would like to order them all to my liking, but without instant visual
feedback on the voting ballot, this is a hopeless task.

Since I have about 10 minutes to spare for voting, I'm just going to
pick 5 candidates at random and order these? Actually, I think I prefer
to be completely paralyzed by the overwhelming choice instead and not
vote at all.

Alternatively, it seems that it's possible to upload rankings from a
file. But which format? And is there a zip file with the logo proposals
so I can try to arrange them via drag&drop in some picture gallery
application?

A simple majority vote is clearly inadequate for this vote, but I'm
afraid that without assisting technology (instant and visual feedback),
the voting process will more or less deteriorate to that due to the
difficulty of creating quality input votes.

Regards,
apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com