[Haskell-cafe] What unsafeInterleaveIO is unsafe

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 21:11:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Jonathan Cast
<jonathanccast at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> But not if you switch the (x <- ...) and (y <- ...) parts:
>>
>> main = do
>>     r <- newIORef 0
>>     v <- unsafeInterleaveIO $ do
>>         writeIORef r 1
>>         return 1
>>     y <- readIORef r
>>     x <- case f v of
>>             0 -> return 0
>>             n -> return (n - 1)
>>     print y
>>
>> Now the IORef is read before the case has a chance to trigger the writing.
>
> But if the compiler is free to do this itself, what guarantee do I have
> that it won't?

You don't really have any guarantee; the compiler is free to assume
that v is a pure integer and that f is a pure function from integers
to integers.  Therefore, it can assume that the only observable affect
of calling f v is non-termination.  Note that unsafeInterleaveIO
*breaks* this assumption; that is why it is unsafe.

I erred previously in saying that this was allowed if f is total; it
does still evaluate f v either way.  But I can correct my argument as
follows: the only observable effect from the (x <- ...) line is
non-termination.  And the compiler can prove that there *no*
observable effect of "readIORef" until the value is used or the
reference is written by another function.  So it is free to make this
reordering anyways, as the only observable effect could have been
non-termination which will be observed immediately after.

When you use unsafeInterleaveIO or unsafePerformIO, you are required
prove that its use does not break these invariants; that, for example,
you don't read or write from IORefs that could be accessed elsewhere
in the program.  These are proofs that the compiler can and does make
in some situations; it can reorder sequential readIORef calls if it
thinks one or the other might be more efficient.  It can evaluate
foldl as if it was foldl' if it proves the arguments strict enough
that non-termination behavior is identical (ghc -O2 does this, for
example).

The language has them as "escape hatches" that allow you to write code
that would not otherwise be possible, by shifting more of a proof
obligation on to the programmer.

  -- ryan