[Haskell-cafe] Hashing over equivalence classes

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 14:36:33 EDT 2009

For the second case you might be able to come up with a commutative
hash-combiner function for && and ||.

For the lambda-term situation, I can think of a couple ways to hash
that give what you want.

(1) Ignore variable names altogether while hashing; this gives you
what you want but has the disadvantage that (\a b. a) and (\a b. b)
hash to the same value.
(2) Hash the term with de Bruijn indices.  But this is the same as
"hash the canonical element".

I don't see that you have much other choice, though.  Fortunately, due
to laziness, hash . canonicalize should not have much worse space
behavior than just hash.

Did you have something else in mind?

  -- ryan