[Haskell-cafe] Re: Against cuteness

Gregg Reynolds dev at mobileink.com
Fri Mar 13 08:26:20 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Benjamin L. Russell
<DekuDekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:11:15 -0500, Gregg Reynolds <dev at mobileink.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't think so.  Bad design will lose them (and many others), but
>>good design and cuteness are two different things.
>
> It's also possible for a good design to be cute, too.

De cutibus non est disputandem.

Personally I think something interesting could be done with Thoth
(nice open svg image at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoth):  God of
reading/writing, math.  When conflated with Hermes, also of
boundaries, thieves and scoundrels, etc.

Then there's Haskell B. Curry himself; notice the resemblance
(http://www.haskell.org/bio.html) with J. R. "Bob" Dobbs
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._%22Bob%22_Dobbs).  An artist could
"comicize" an image of Curry.  Then it's only a short step to actual
cultdom - why stop with a mere web community when you can legally
establish a religious cult and actually ordain Ministers?
(http://www.subgenius.com/scatalog/membership.htm).

-g