[Haskell-cafe] Re: Against cuteness

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri Mar 13 07:29:25 EDT 2009

Benjamin L.Russell <DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

> balance

Stop right there. Any further word about what the Taiji means would
only make you look even more clueless. Take a scale if you want a
symbol for balance[1].

OTOH, laziness(yin) and strictness(yang) make a far better pair of
unified opposites than the schemeish eval and apply (which's outer
essences are both yang, changing to yin only by means of what they
execute[2]).

Still, you wouldn't represent the Maybe monad with >>=, now would you?
Instantiating a symbol for a general principle to whatever you like
constitutes pocketing.

Anyway, I think it's too late for logo submissions. Personally, I just
love the lambda-bind, it's truly haskellish, sleek, appropriately
cryptic and lends itself well to ascii-art.

What about a chicken holding a curry dispenser? In any case, I don't
think a sloth is a bad choice as a mascot: It's most likely the most
efficient animal on earth, and seeing it, you're bound to be mystified
how it manages to get anything done.

Water overcomes stone:
Shapeless, it requires no opening:
The benefit of taking no action.

Yet benefit without action,
And experience without abstraction,
Are practiced by very few.

[1] Or the vector equilibrium (note the word "libra" in there):
http://www.angelfire.com/mt/marksomers/91.html
It's also the reason why cutting a pizza into anything else but six
pieces is an abomination to geometry.[2]

[2] While I'm at it: The tips of the pinky, index finger, and thumb
form a tetrahedron together with the center of mass in your palm while
holding such a piece. What do you make of that?

[3] And are therefore better explained in terms of hodge and podge