[Haskell-cafe] Re: Against cuteness

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 23:29:23 EDT 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 03:22:41 +0100, Deniz Dogan
<deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> wrote:

>2009/3/13 Benjamin L. Russell <DekuDekuplex at yahoo.com>:
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:11:15 -0500, Gregg Reynolds <dev at mobileink.com>
>> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>Why even bother discussing whether a potential mascot should be cute
>or not?  You guys should come up with new ideas instead of simply
>stating what you *don't* want. :)

Good point.

Okay, here's a suggestion:

Consider the following logo:

Silver red monad.png
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Silver_red_monad.png

This logo "[s]ignifies balance between consumption and production,"
and is the "Official Symbol of Technocracy -
http://www.technocracy.org/."

The above-mentioned logo is essentially a silver-red variation of the
Yin-Yang symbol without the dots on both ends.

Then consider the background of the following Yin-Yang symbol:

Yin-Yang Symbol (on a swirling orange-gold background)
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_236/1202779093o0VB6w.jpg

Given that the representation of the Pythagorean monad can already be
considered as a portion of the Yin-Yang symbol (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monad_(Greek_philosophy)), why not take
the background for the above-mentioned Yin-Yang symbol, superimpose
the silver-red monad, and then simply superimpose representations of
the Pythagorean monad as gradiated halos where there are dots in a
traditional Yin-Yang symbol?

We would then have a silver-red monad that closely resembles a
Yin-Yang symbol, except that the dots would each be surrounded by a
gradiated halo representing a monad, on a wavy orange-gold background:
essentially, a pair of Pythagorean monads in a silver-red monad on a
distinctive background.

This symbol would represent the three-way balance between purity
(symbolized by the red), laziness (symbolized by the silver), and
monads (symbolized by the dots surrounded by halos).

I don't have time to craft the image right now, but I may be able to
come up with something after lunch.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^