[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-Wiki Account registration

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 22:34:08 EDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:31:49 +0100 (CET), Henning Thielemann
<lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

>How long will the Wiki account registration be disabled? Would it be
>possible to ask a question, that real Haskellers could easily answer, but
>a spambot cannot? E.g. "What's Haskell's surname?"

Indeed.  Disabling Wiki account registration indefinitely, and not
replacing it by at least some form of automatic registration, risks
allowing outsiders to think that the HaskellWiki is somehow run by
some "clique," which I'm sure is not the case.  Automating the process
removes most of the risk of this misimpression.

Why not ask new users to identify letters in a random bitmapped image
of a string, as is commonly done?  Then any new user who still
registers and starts submitting spam can be tracked and moderated.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^