[Haskell-cafe] Abuse of the monad [was: monadic logo]

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 10:28:04 EDT 2009

On 12 Mar 2009, at 15:16, Andrew Wagner wrote:

> Can you expand on this a bit? I'm curious why you think this.

For two reasons:

Firstly, I often find that people use the Monadic interface when one
of the less powerful ones is both powerful enough and more convenient,
parsec is a wonderful example of this.  When the applicative instance
is used instead of the monadic one, programs rapidly become more
readable, because they stop describing the order in which things
should be parsed, and start describing the grammar of the language
being parsed instead.

Secondly, It seems relatively common now for beginners to be told
about the IO monad, and start writing imperative code in it, and
thinking that this is what Haskell programming is.  I have no problem
with people writing imperative code in Haskell, it's an excellent
imperative language.  However, beginners seeing this, and picking it
up is usually counter productive – they never learn how to write
things in a functional way, and miss out on most of the benefits of
doing so.

Hope that clarifies what I meant :)

Bob