[Haskell-cafe] Re: Sugestion for a Haskell mascot

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 07:53:37 EDT 2009

2009/3/12 Satnam Singh <satnams at microsoft.com>:
> I agree that looking for a mascot that is inspired by "laziness" is a bad idea from a P.R. perspective (I am tired of people walking out the room when I give Haskell talks to general audiences and explain lazy evaluation).
>
> Perhaps this is just an indication of my dark and violent side, but choosing an animal with a killer instinct might be a better idea. A creature that would eat something small and furry as a mid afternoon snack
>
> How about a viper? http://viperfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/5742_coiled_up_viper_snake_sticking_tongue_out.jpg

Python already uses a snake and it reminds me too much of vi and
viper-mode etc.  If so many people are reluctant towards the sloth,
why don't we just go for the narwhal?  They're predators, they have
built-in swords and they're just bad ass in general.  Then of course,
there's the downside that there's no connection to the language itself
in any way.

Deniz