[Haskell-cafe] Generics Versus Parametric Polymorphism

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 05:03:03 EDT 2009

Hello Mark,

Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 9:11:42 AM, you wrote:

> Just wondering if Generics and Parametric polymorphism are one and the same in Haskell.

haskell Parametric polymorphism is the same type of thing as Java Generics :)

haskell Generics provides ability to define procedures polymorphic by
*any* data type with just a fixed number of definitions

there are at least dozen of various tools/libraries supporting
Generics in some way in haskell, so indeed we are interested to have
at least one with guaranteed availability

google for "scrap your boilerplate" paper for a description of one of
the most popular Generics implementation

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com