[Haskell-cafe] bytestring vs. uvector

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:49:46 EDT 2009

Hello Don,

>> I think uvector only works with certain types that can be
>> unboxed, while storablevector works with all types that
>> instantiate Foreign.Storable.Storable.  I don't know about
>> vector.  From the description of vector, I have the

> That's interesting. I'd expect Storable and UA to have the same set of
> inhabitants. Is there any difference?

if uavector use ghc's built-in unboxed array operations (as
Data.Array.Unboxed does) then it's necessarily bounded to types
supported by those operations

btw, i have extended this set in my own library by making a class
which has implementation using those operations but may be extended
further. OTOH, nowadays when ForeignArrays becomes as fast as
built-in ones, i don't see any reasons for these built-in operations at
all

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com