[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 06:19:41 EDT 2009

> > The Google Summer of Code will be running again this year.  Once
> > again, haskell.org has the opportunity to bid to become a mentoring
> > organisation.  (Although, as always, there is no guarantee of
> > acceptance.)
>
> Google is now accepting applications:

Indeed.  Since I am (perhaps by default) the GSoC org admin for
haskell.org once again this year, and will shortly need to list our
mentors on our application form, I am now soliciting volunteers to be
mentors.   Please email me directly.  The mentoring group has two main
jobs:

  * To look after students and their projects if/when they are accepted.
    If you have suggested, or feel strongly about, or have experience
    relevant to a particular project (currently on the trac[1], or
    reddit[2] - if not, then add it!), please consider volunteering to
    mentor it.  This requires a commitment of maybe up to five hours a
    week (but often less) during the student coding phase (23rd May -
    17th Aug).  Having multiple mentors for a single project area is no
    problem - it just means more backup for students.

  * To review and rank student proposals.
    This requires a commitment of several hours across the review period
    (roughly 23rd March - 15th April), and also some enthusiasm for
    generally promoting projects that will benefit the Haskell community
    as a whole.  The reviewers include all those who are willing to look
    after students for the summer.  Of course there is no guarantee that
    your project will actually get student participation, but if you don't
    play at this stage, you definitely won't get one!

Regards,
    Malcolm

[1]  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/
[2]  http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell_proposals/