[Haskell-cafe] Logo Preferences

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 13:26:20 EDT 2009

2009/3/9 Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Bulat Ziganshin <
> bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Sebastian,
>> Monday, March 9, 2009, 1:08:50 PM, you wrote:
>> i think we should make 2-stage voting, like in F1
>> after 1st stage we will know which logos are most popular and
>> therefore are real candidates, so we can select among them
> One of the reasons condorcet voting is good is that this isn't needed. If
> everyone is consistent in which logos they prefer the results from second
> voting stage will be identical to just picking the condorcet voting from the
> first stage.
> The interface to the condorcet voting site is actually pretty good (try out
> one of the samples), so it's pretty easy to just "move to top" the ones you
> prefer and move the ones you dislike to the bottom. Then you can ignore the
> vast majority of "don't care" logos in the middle, and just fine tune your
> ranking at the top and bottom.

With so many candidates, I think a two-stage process would be helpful.  For
example, what if a variant of a logo I liked ended up being popular, but I
missed that one and didn't rank it (not unreasonable, there are a hundred
logos).  After the top candidates have been selected, I will surely notice
it up there.

Of course, introducing multi-stage voting breaks some of the properties we'd
like a voting system to have.  But, alas, you (provably) can't have it all