[Haskell-cafe] Logo Preferences

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 06:08:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:

> Eelco Lempsink wrote:
>
> The list with options can be found here (for now):
>> http://community.haskell.org/~eelco/poll.html  Notice that some (very)
>> similar logos are grouped as one option (thanks to Ian Lynagh) All
>> submissions compete, so that still makes more than a 100 options!
>>
>> The voting system we'll use is the Condorcet Internet Voting System (
>> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html).
>>

> So ranking all 100+ items on the Condorcet ballot is a bit of a daunting
> task. However, if we get a rough idea of the favourites, we can each cut
> down a bit on the work.
>
> For instance, suppose 82 and 93 are very popular. You might not like either
> of them, but it's worth ranking them on your ballot (after the ones you do
> like) if you have a preference between them. But there's less need to rank
> the ones no-one likes.

I'm pretty sure this is precisely how the system works. You bring the ones
you care about to the top and rank them, and everything else shares a rank
at the bottom (or you could pick a few of those that you really dislike and
put them even lower than the default rank). But the point is that you
shouldn't need to rank every single logo, just the ones you care about and
then you leave the rest at the default rank.

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+44(0)7857-300802