[Haskell-cafe] where does ghc specify ar options

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 23:44:13 EDT 2009

When bootstrapping cabal-install 0.6.2 on Mac OSX Leopard (Intel), I
get a problem when linking:

Linking dist/build/cabal/cabal ...
ld: in /private/var/folders/mw/mwJSf7ErEa4w8nWyKyyqD++++TY/-Tmp-/zlib-0.5.0.0/dist/build/libHSzlib-0.5.0.0.a,
archive has no table of contents

This had happened with other ar'chives on my Mac before where it
hadn't for some others.  In all cases the fix was to make sure ranlib
is run on the archive in question, or s is passed to ar during the
creation.  I have the latest XCode 312m gcc build 5490, and ghc 6.10.1
from MacPorts.

In order to ensure ar cr becomes ar crs, I need to find out where in
the ghc build process is it known how to create .a files?  Where can
an "ar cr" be changed to "ar crs" on a system-wide ghc build basis?

Cheers,
Alexy