[Haskell-cafe] Cabal and package changelog

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 8 14:11:57 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 10:00 -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > The Cabal package description includes a property `license-file`.
> > This property may be used by Hackage to provide a link to the license file.
> >
> > However I would like to have a `changelog-file`, too.
> > So that from Hackage I can quickly check what's changed with the new version
> > of a package.
> >

> > Is this feasible?
> >

> > Thanks  Manlio Perillo
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/244
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/299

Thanks Gwern. Yes, we're looking for a volunteer to work on implementing
this.

One question is what the changelog format should be? Or should it just
be uninterpreted text? One suggestion was for Hackage and the RSS feed
to display the diff between the current and previous version of the
changelog. Or perhaps we can do both, diff it and parse the result as
haddock markup or something.

So suggestions and volunteers welcome.

Duncan