[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Holumbus-MapReduce 0.0.1

Stefan Schmidt stefanschmidt42 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 8 09:47:25 EDT 2009

The Holumbus framework is known for building specialized search-engines
like the Hayoo! Haskell API search. Now, I'd like to announce the newest
libraries of the Holumbus framework:

Holumbus-MapReduce    0.0.1
Holumbus-Distribution 0.0.1
Holumbus-Storage      0.0.1

As part of my Master's Thesis at the University of Applied Sciences in
Wedel, Germany, I have developed a library for building distributed
MapReduce systems in Haskell. The existing Holumbus-Searchengine library
already offers a MapReduce implementation, but it does not provide
mechanisms for distributed computing. The newly developed
Holumbus-MapReduce library contains of tools and modules for building
individualized distributed MapReduce systems.

Holumbus-MapReduce is based on two libraries: Holumbus-Distributed and
Holumbus-Storage. Maybe they could be useful for building other
distributed systems, not only a MapReduce system.

Holumbus-Distribution consists of modules and tools for the
implementation of distributed systems in general. Besides common data
types and small helper functions, this library provides a mailbox-based
data transfer mechanism. It offers an easy-to-use interface for inter-
and intra-process communication like in Erlang or Mozart/Oz.

Holumbus-Storage is designed to build a distributed storage system which
can be linked into other programs. It is used by the MapReduce system
for the data management.

All three libraries are still under heavy development and should not be
considered for creating applications in productive environments. But I
think, it's time to give them to the community for suggestions on
further development and features.

Please email comments, bugs, etc. to sts at holumbus.org

Stefan Schmidt

Holumbus on Hackage: