[Haskell-cafe] I want to write a compiler

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Sat Mar 7 20:20:54 EST 2009

Hello,

This book is pretty good IMO:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/

It does not cover STG, but it does cover a ton of useful stuff and is
very well written.

I can say from experience that the spineless-tagless-gmachine paper
you referenced does contain all the information needed to implement an
STG->C compiler. But, you should expect to spend a lot of time
alternating between trying to implement the thing and rereading the
paper.

Also, you may find that it is easier to do STG->Assembly at first (via
harpy or something). With assembly it is easier to express exactly
what you want to happen. With C you have to try to figure out how to
trick the C compiler into doing your bidding.

Also, maybe it is more satisfying to output assembly, because then you
really feel like you are writing a compiler ;)

I am sure others will say that LLVM is a better option than C or
assembly. I know almost nothing about LLVM, so they may be right.

-- jeremy