[Haskell-cafe] do you have to use fix with forkio?

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 16:33:00 EST 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Daryoush Mehrtash <dmehrtash at gmail.com>wrote:

> Question:  Do I need to worry about space leak if I am using the fix to
> instead of the "let"?

If you need to worry about a space leak with fix, you need to worry about it
with let.

The reason arrows can tie the loop tighter is more about the nature of
recursion in streams; an arrow "sees" that prior values of a signal are not
used, whereas value recursion is much less restricted.  If, for example, the
arrow were a kleisli arrow over the list monad, this would not be possible.

With the definition fix f = let x = f x in x, you should not see any
performance difference, other than the standard HOF penalty if there is not
enough inlining... but that should not be asymptotic anyway.

Luke