[Haskell-cafe] Re: MPI

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:37:15 EST 2009

2009/3/6 Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com>

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM, FFT <fft1976 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > Are MPI bindings still the best way of using Haskell on Beowulf
>> > clusters? It's my feeling that the bindings stagnated, or are they
>> > just very mature?
>>

> MPI itself hasn't changed in 14 years, so it's not exactly a moving target.
> (There's an MPI 2.0, but its most visible changes are not really usable.)

MPI forum meetings are ongoing now to update it once again :-)

Having implemented MPI 2, I find the comment that the visible changes not
being very usable to be interesting, and really more of an opinion (one that
I typically share for some parts of the API, but not others).

> What's the story with distributed memory multiprocessing? Are Haskell
>> programmers uninterested in it, or are things other than MPI used with
>> it?
>

> The ratio of work to payoff is unfortunately very high, so it seems to have
> been abandoned as a topic of fruitful research.

I think you're better off with some message passing system in almost all
cases than most when it comes to distributed, concurrent, and even some
kinds of parallel programs, but that's based on my real world experience
implementing efficient implementations of message passing for customers for
about 5 or 6 years.... so I'm a bit biased.