[Haskell-cafe] Re: [reactive] FRP + physics / status of hpysics

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 07:01:41 EST 2009

Thanks for the info. With backtracking I actually meant the computation of
the exact collision time, and let (part of the simulation) only go that far,
so it's not really "back tracking" in the physics engine; does that
correspond to your 2nd proposal. I just got this from a physics
book<http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Simulations-Multibody-Systems-Coutinho/dp/038795192X>that
implements it that way (at least that why I got from reading it
diagonally, the books contains a lot of advanced math...)
But do you mean that with your proposed methods the simulation will advance
a full "time step" anyway, so the time interval does not need to broken up
into smaller ones, where each sub-interval ends with a collision event? I
wander how this could work since most of the time in a game when a collision
happens, the game logic decides what forces to apply next, so the simulation
can't really advance a full time step anyway (although that could be hacked
I guess). Converting the game logic into differential equations with
constraints seems very hard.

However, I must admit I haven't used any modern physics engines the last 5
years or so... But it's interesting to hear from people that did.