[Haskell-cafe] Hint and Ambiguous Type issue

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:25:29 EST 2009

So, by using the Haskell interpreter, you're using the
not-very-well-supported dynamically-typed subset of Haskell.  You can
tell this from the type signature of "interpret":

> interpret :: Typeable a => String -> a -> Interpreter a

> as :: Typeable a => a
> as = undefined

(from http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/hint/0.2.1/doc/html/src/Language-Haskell-Interpreter-GHC.html)

In particular, the "as" argument to interpret is specifying what type
you want the interpreted result to be typechecked against; the
interpretation fails if it doesn't match that type.  But you need the
result type to be an instance of Typeable; (forall a. Deliverable a =>
Filter a) most certainly is not.

Off the top of my head, you have a couple of directions you can take this.

(1) Make Typeable a superclass of Deliverable, saying that all
deliverable things must be dynamically typeable.  Then derive Typeable
on Filter, and have the result be of type "Filter a" using
ScopedTypeVariables as suggested before. (You can also pass "infer" to
the interpreter and let the compiler try to figure out the result type
instead of passing (as :: SomeType).)

(2) Make a newtype wrapper around Filter and give it an instance of
Typeable, and add a constraint to filterMain that the result type in
the filter is also typeable.  Then unwrap the newtype after the
interpreter completes.

Good luck; I've never tried to use the Haskell interpreter before, so
I'm curious how well it works and what problems you have with it!

  -- ryan