[Haskell-cafe] Re: Theory about uncurried functions

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:55:02 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> wrote:

> There's not much to understand about CT, anyway: It's actually nearly
> as trivial as set theory.

You mean that theory which predicts the existence of infinitely many
infinities; in fact for any cardinal, there are at least that many
cardinals?  That theory in which aleph_1 and 2^aleph_0 are definitely
comparable, but we provably cannot compare them?  The theory which has
omega_0 < omega_1 < omega_2 < ... omega_omega < ..., where obviously omega_a
is much larger than a... except for when it catches its tail and omega_alpha
= alpha for some crazy-ass alpha.

I don't think set theory is trivial in the least.  I think it is
complicated, convoluted, often anti-intuitive and nonconstructive.

Category theory is much more trivial, and that's what makes it powerful.
(Although training yourself to think categorically is quite difficult, I'm
finding)