[Haskell-cafe] possible memory leak in uvector 0.1.0.3

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Mar 3 10:00:55 EST 2009

Daniel Fischer ha scritto:

>>> Just to make sure (code fragments or, better, reduced examples
>>> would make it easier to see what the discussion is about): are you
>>> forcing the UArr to be constructed before putting it into the Map?
>> parse handle =
>>    contents <- S.hGetContents handle
>>    let v =  map singleton' $ ratings contents
>>    let m = foldl1' (unionWith appendU) v
>>    v `seq` return $! m
>
> The (v `seq` ) is completely useless.
> Maybe
> 	(size m) `seq` return m
> would help?

In one of my tests I did:

   rnf v `seq` rnf m `seq` return m

Memory usage was the same

-- XXX these are missing from uvector package
instance (NFData a, NFData b) => NFData (a :*: b) where
     -- NOTE: (:*:) is already strict
     rnf (a :*: b) = a `seq` b `seq` ()

instance NFData a => NFData (UArr a) where
     -- NOTE: UArr is already strict
     rnf array = array `seq` ()

Regards  Manlio