[Haskell-cafe] help optimizing memory usage for a program

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Mon Mar 2 13:13:51 EST 2009

Manlio Perillo ha scritto:
> [...]
>  > moreover, you may set up"growing factor". with a g.f. of
>> 1.5, for example, memory will be collected once heap will become 1.5x
>> larger than real memory usage after last GC. this effectively
>> guarantees that memory overhead will never be over this factor
>>

> Thanks.
> This seems to be effective (but it also reduce performances).
>
> 3) With -F1 option
> [...]
> I have to parse the whole data set, to check if memory usage is good.

Ok, done:

   real	49m7.369s
   user	45m21.642s
   sys	0m18.893s

   814 MB used

This is better memory usage, respect to:

   real	7m17.853s
   user	3m38.506s
   sys	0m7.612s

   1586 MB used

However, Kenneth Hoste reported (http://boegel.kejo.be/):

   26 minutes, with 700 MB used.

Maybe he was using the latest GHC version.
I would also like to check how performances are with other functional
languages.

Regards  Manlio Perillo