[Haskell-cafe] odd problem with export list of System.IO

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 1 10:50:34 EST 2009

On 2009 Mar 1, at 9:55, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> Johan Tibell ha scritto:
>> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it
>> > wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why the
>>> following
>>> program:
>>>
>>> module Main where
>>> import System.IO (Handle, withFile, ReadMode)
>> You want to import IOMode(..), not ReadMode. The latter is a data
>> constructor of the IOMode type.
>
> However, why individual data constructors of the IOMode type are not
> exported?

You asked for an explicit export list, why are you surprised that
things not in that export list aren't exported?  If you're asking why
an individual constructor needs a type with it, it's because it's only
meaningful in the context of that type, if you hand the compiler
ReadMode without the IOMode definition, it wouldn't be able to do
anything useful with it.

(You could think if it as:  ReadMode is IOMode[0] (not Haskell syntax,
but internally ReadMode has the 0th constructor slot in the IOMode
type), WriteMode is IOMode[1], you need IOMode for either to be useful/
meaningful.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu