[Haskell-cafe] XMonad and NetworkManager?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Jun 29 04:58:12 EDT 2009

Hi,

A bit off-topic, but this is the café, after all...

Like many here, I run XMonad as my window manager on top of Linux.
On - at least my brand of - Linux, networking is generally handled by
NetworkManager, which really needs its associated applet (nm-applet)
to work properly.  While I discovered trayer, which at least let me
run nm-applet without dragging in most of Gnome, it still drags in
some of the bloat, and interacts a bit poorly with the rest of the
system (temporarily locks up the screen, transparency doesn't work,
positions itself awkwardly, needs gconfd at incovinient times..)

So: has anybody tried better alternatives to NetworkManager and
nm-applet?  Wicd, say?  Or something that can integrate with dzen?

-k