[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on JVM

Andrew Hunter andrewhhunter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:10:49 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Daniel Peebles<pumpkingod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe the JVM could be abused so that all of the haskell code is
> within one "function", so as to avoid java's notion of a function
> boundary and implement our own using just goto? Or does the JIT
> operate on entire functions at a time?

As I recall, this has been tried, but there's a limit (64k?) on
function body size that you immediately run in to.  Also, this would
seem likely to get seriously in the way of optimizations and use of
the JVM's slightly-higher-than-assembly level of abstraction.  I think
the second reason, for example, is why people (to my knowledge)
haven't tried the otherwise well suited Cheney-on-the-MTA
scheme...Stack as nursery is cute, but I think you want to work with
the JVM, not against it.

AHH