[Haskell-cafe] Suggestion for Network.Socket in regards to PortNumber

John Van Enk vanenkj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 15:15:08 EDT 2009

One thing I'd really like to see, now that I'm thinking about it, is
to drop the dependency on the ./configure step when building network.
If I can figure this out without changing how Network.Socket works
now, would that be something we could merge into the package?

I've love to see a Build-Type of Simple.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Johan Tibell<johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Thomas DuBuisson
> <thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Johan - glad you chimed in!
>>
>> I'm all in favor of keeping a low level interface and don't have an
>> issue with Network.Socket existing,  I additionally really like the
>> suggestion of moving from the ML to a wiki in the same style as
>> Haskell'.
>>
>> I'll port these comments to the wiki if that is whats agreed on and
>> hold off on other thoughts for now.
>
> Yes, please start a new wiki page. We can still discuss issues here and add
> things to the wiki as different solutions materialize.
>

>> * Avoiding a 'heavy weight' solution for socket state might get ugly
>> fast with all the 'Either a b' results that we'll need - also a socket
>> can close at any time so a socket in 'Connected' state might not
>> actually be connected.  I understand the attraction to a light
>> solution using existential types but Tim Sheard sketched for me a
>> reasonable alternative which I invite him to restate here, if he has
>> the time.
>
> Good point. The encodings using existential types are not very lightweight
> in my opinion. I'd love to hear Tim's alternative.
>
> -- Johan

/jve