[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: jhc 0.6.1

David Barton dlb at patriot.net
Wed Jun 24 11:43:25 EDT 2009

Switching to Haskell Cafe; I hope you read that list, John, since it
seems more suitable to this kind of question.

John Meacham wrote:
> Hi, this is to announce the release of jhc 0.6.1. The jhc homepage with
> distribution information is at http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/
>
> The main new feature in this release is a much simplified
> cross-compilation mechanism. While cross-compilation was always possible
> with jhc, it used to involve manually copying the C file and calling gcc
> with the right options on it, now this is taken care of by jhc.
>
> A (popular) example would be setting up an iPhone cross compilation
> target. For instance with the SDK setup I have, I would simply add the
> following to a file ~/.jhc/targets.ini
>
>     [iphone]
>     cc=arm-apple-darwin
>     cflags+=-I/usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/include
>     merge=le32
>
> then you can compile iphone binaries with
>
>     ; jhc --cross -miphone HelloWorld.hs
>
> the targets mechanism is extensible at run-time and I have included
> native unix, win32, osx-intel and osx-powerpc targets. But certainly
> many more interesting ones are possible. Some I have tested have been a
> nokia N770 as a target and an atheros MIPS based router running dd-wrt.
Maximum coolness!  When you were targeting the nokia, how did you handle
the radically different user interface?  Did you have to establish a
mapping from one of the Haskell UI packages to the Nokia equivalents?
If so, which one did you pick, and how much time did it take?

I'd love it if I could get this working for the Palm....

Dave Barton
(soon to be) University of Toronto