[Haskell-cafe] How to determine if a FilePath is a directory name or regular file?

Max Rabkin max.rabkin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 09:03:46 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Deniz Dogan<deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you saying that when a function is named "isDirectory" you expect
> it to only check for a trailing forward slash character?

No. I'm saying that *if* isDirectory existed, then (isDirectory
"/no/such/directory/") should equal true on Unix. I'm saying
"isDirectory" should not *exist*, because it cannot do what it says on
Unix or Windows. There are OSes where it can do what it says (i.e., it
is possible to tell whether a path points at a directory or a file).

> --
> Deniz Dogan

--Max