[Haskell-cafe] Slightly off-topic: Lambda calculus

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Sun Jun 21 18:16:52 EDT 2009

As others have pointed out, it is not enough to rename before reduction.
It should be pretty obvious since when you do substitution and copy a
lambda expression into more than once place you will introduce
variables with the same name.  You can keep unique variables by
"cloning" during substitution, i.e., renaming the bound variables.

  -- Lennart