[Haskell-cafe] Re: Need some help with an infinite list

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 14:16:34 EDT 2009

could someone explain sharing?

In the code below, allstrings2 is 6X as fast as allstrings. I assume
because of sharing, but I don't intuitively see a reason why.

can someone give me some pointers, perhaps using debug.trace or other
tools (profiling?) to show where the first version is being
inefficient?

letters = ['a'..'z']

strings 0 = [""]
strings n = [ c : s | c <- letters, s <-  strings (n-1) x ]

allstrings = concat $ map strings [1..]

allstrings2 = let sss = [""] : [ [ c:s | c <- letters, s <- ss ] | ss <- sss ]
              in concat $ tail sss

t = allstrings !! wanted
t2 = allstrings2 !! wanted

wanted = (10^2)