[Haskell-cafe] Re: Running a "sub-process" which dies with the main program

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 05:58:26 EDT 2009

2009/6/18 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I couldn't come up with a better subject than this one, so anyways...
>
> I have a small program which spawns a subprocess. However, when I hit
> C-c, the subprocess won't die, instead it will just keep running until
> it's done or until I kill it. I've looked around in System.Process for
> something suitable for my needs, but I can't seem to find it. Any
> ideas?

With a tip from a person outside of the mailing list I found
System.Process.system, which essentially does exactly what I was
asking for. However, I would really like some more control over what
file descriptors the subprocess should use (specifically stdout and
stderr). Looking at the source code for System.Process.system, I find
that it uses the "syncProcess" function, which would be useful to me,
but isn't exported.

So why is syncProcess not exported? Is there any good reason not to?

--
Deniz Dogan