[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wiki user accounts

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Tue Jun 16 14:58:04 EDT 2009

[sent to the list as well this time]

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 14:26 -0300, Maurí­cio wrote:
> > I'm hearing reports of people having difficulty obtaining accounts on
> > the Haskell wiki, without which it is impossible to make edits.
> > Currently, account creation is disabled as an anti-spam measure, and the
> > idea is for people to mail the admin and request an account. (...)
>
> Maybe OpenID could help with spam problems without
> the need for manual intervention:
>
>     http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID

I doubt it - I know LiveJournal has a problem with spambots gaining free
accounts, and it provides OpenID. They may not be exploited for the
OpenID account yet, but I imagine they will be sooner rather than later
- OpenID is more useful to tie in people's existing identities.

--
Philippa Cowderoy <flippa at flippac.org>