[Haskell-cafe] Re: Unicode workaround for getDirectoryContents under Windows?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:30:55 EDT 2009

On 16/06/2009 14:56, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Simon,
> Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 5:02:43 PM, you wrote:
>> Also currently broken:
>>    * calling removeFile on a FilePath you get from getDirectoryContents,
>>      amongst other System.Directory operations
>> Fixing getDirectoryContents will fix these.
> no. removeFile like anything else also uses ACP-based api

What code are you looking at?

Here is System.Directory.removeFile:

removeFile :: FilePath -> IO ()
removeFile path =
#if mingw32_HOST_OS
   System.Win32.deleteFile path
   System.Posix.removeLink path

and System.Win32.deleteFile:

deleteFile :: String -> IO ()
deleteFile name =
   withTString name $ \ c_name ->
   failIfFalse_ "DeleteFile" $ c_DeleteFile c_name
foreign import stdcall unsafe "windows.h DeleteFileW"
   c_DeleteFile :: LPCTSTR -> IO Bool

note it's calling DeleteFileW, and using wide-char strings.

> Windows libraries emulates POSIX API (open, opendir, stat and so on)
> by translating these (char-based) calls into A-family. GHC libs are
> written Unix way, so these are effectively bundled to A-family of Win

Actually we use a mixture of CRT functions and native Windows API,
gradually moving in the direction of the latter.