[Haskell-cafe] Re: Parametrized monads

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Mon Jun 15 18:00:25 EDT 2009

Probably.

I have two objections against using type families. Both are pretty
much theoretical.

First, it seems to me that using type families would require some
other extensions. Multi-parameter type classes are OK, but, in my
experience, the road from them to the darkness of undecidable
instances is quite short, and I don't feel very safe on these grounds.
Maybe it's just me, but I can't help imagining myself adding just one
element to the already long list, and the compiler throwing tons of
cryptic error messages on my head because the derivation of necessary
instances is just too long. It happened before, and I still don't know
how to prevent it.

Secondly, type families are one thing that I have no idea of how to
abstract if needed. I know how to abstract a usual type class - by
passing the dictionary explicitly, for example; there are some more
sophisticated methods like higher-level monad - but it seems almost
impossible to abstract a class that can have an associated data type.
I don't see any reason to do this - yet; and for me,  "yet" is enough
to make me nervous.